After visiting the Abbey we walked back through town
Photo taken at dusk on our walk back to the ship
(The temp outside is really cold - 10 degrees Celsius (about 42 F )
So charming!
(This is a place where people that had wronged their community were punished.)
made out of apricots!
castle on the hill where King Richard the lion-hearted was detained
We are beginning our walking tour of Durnstein
HOPEFULLY THESE PICTURES WILL TELL A THOUSAND WORDS!
Again, it is a late night...almost 11:30 pm. I have been trying to get better from a cold/allergies. Crazy...with the sinus headache so bad yesterday. However, we did stop at the pharmacy in Melk in Durnstein and picked up some medicine for me. I am quite a bit better today. Thank goodness! I don't want to miss a thing!!!
This cruise and tour has been SO FABULOUS! We are seeing and experiencing so much. The Melk Abbey was is one of the most important buildings of baroque architecture in Europe! Wow, it is so ornate! Since 1089 the Abbey has been a Benedictine monastery, founded by Leopold II. Our cruise director in fact attended school there. They presently have 9oo students.
Durnstein is such a charming town that we both thoroughly enjoyed. The Kuenringer Castle ruins you saw in a photo is where the English King Richard the Lionhearted was held prisoner in 1192.
Well.....this is going to be the end of my post for now. The Internet shut down and I lost some of this post......look below this writing for a few more photos??????? love you all
Well.....this is going to be the end of my post for now. The Internet shut down and I lost some of this post......look below this writing for a few more photos??????? love you all
The history, the architecture, the landscape--all incredible. Enjoy. Feel better. Love you.
ReplyDeleteI got your email mama. Everything is fine...we are great. A Halloween party last night and Trunk-or-Treating. Fun, fun! Durnstein, Austria looks beautiful. I hoe you are feeling better. We love sharing in your travels. Keep having fun. We love you!!
ReplyDeleteRiley....I am glad you and the girls are fine. A got a little nap this aft. and feel much better. I bet Marley and Jazzy looked great in their Halloween costumes. love you and the girls tons.....mama
ReplyDelete