A photo journal of our traveling adventures

Monday, November 1, 2010

Prague.....the city of a hundred spires!

Within the castle district
St. Vitus Cathedral in the distance on right

St. Vitus Cathedral

Inside the cathedral!
Magnificent!!!

Stained Glass Window in the Cathedral

St. Vitus Cathedral in foreground

Castle grounds

This guard is real!
We saw the "changing of the guards".

"King's Walk" outside the castle grounds

Entrance to Charles Bridge

One of many statues on the bridge

Charles Bridge

Astronomical Clock

There are spires everywhere you look!

Praque is so unbelievable.......I feel like I am a character in virtual (and visual) reality! I have never experienced anything so amazing!!! The city is magical, spectacular, grandiose, and so very beautiful. Seriously, it is a city beyond description!

Gene and I had a really great night's sleep. Up by 7 am and downstairs to a beautiful buffet breakfast in the hotel dining room. There were so many people in the dining room. I guess that's to be expected when the breakfast is included with your room rate! By the way, there are a lot of people sightseeing in Prague. I thought this was the "off season". Our tour guide told us it is always busy here from April to November!

We met up with our tour bus at 9 am outside the hotel for a ride up to "the castle" on the hill. We then walked with our tour guide around the castle grounds. The castle has served as home to Czech rulers for more than a thousand years. The highlight is St. Vitus Cathedral. Gene and I both agree that this is our favorite cathedral so far. The intricacy of the detail work inside is beyond amazing! We loved the stained glass as well.

You may of noticed that so many of my photos are taken looking upward. That's because the buildings/cathedrals/palaces are so huge. From the castle, we followed our guide down this fabulous road called the " Kings Walk" full of beautiful buildings, shops and local color! Our group of about 25, then had about 20 minutes to stop for some refreshment. Six of us decided to get some hot chocolate and apple strudel in a little cafe. Delicious! We then crossed the very famous Charles Bridge filled with street vendors, musicians and time-blackened Baroque statues. Quite a sight to behold and experience! After the bridge, we followed our guide...well actually we didn't follow her....and lost track of our group while I was snapping some photos. We never did catch up with the group, but ran into some in a gift shop a little later. We did end up in the old town square seeing the famous Astronomical Clock before trying to make our way back to the hotel. Talk about "the blind leading the blind"!  Gene and I were quite a pair as we tried to figure out the streets.  We finally made it though and then had a delightful lunch near the Hilton. We are now back resting for our upcoming evening out with "the group" for a "Dinner Folklore".

We hope this post finds you all well. We miss hearing your voices...sending our love

4 comments:

  1. Attention bloggers: Vos us los with all the space at then end and also the space between the pic and the tag. Keep going down the empty space tothe end . Grpa Gene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed the space for you. I dont know why it does that but I just held the delete button until all the white space was gone. Hope that was okay with you. It looks amazing there. Taylor and I are so excited for you. This has been weird to not be able to talk to you. I had a sad moment today when Taylor was at work and I got a flat tire and I started to go to call you Opa but then I realized I couldnt. I miss you so bad and cannot wait to see you in like 3 weeks. Thanks for the updates...you guys are doing great!! I love you, Love, Heather

    Wish we were there -Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your this post made Regan excited that you both are experiencing such an awesome trip. I would love to see Prague. It looks like a really magnificent city. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prague looks spectacular! Doug and I have a great image of you two finding your way through the streets of Prague. Thanks... it sparked a little laugh. I am glad that you are having a wonderful time. Love to you both!!

    ReplyDelete