We have had a big day of train and bus travel....first a train to Pisa of 1 hour.....then bus to Lucca 1/2 hour....then, back to Florence. The highlight of our trip was the "Leaning Tour of Pisa"! So amazing. Gene and I continue to get a bit turned around when we are doing a "walking tour" on our own......adding quite a few extra steps....Continuing, though, to have lots of fun seeing the sights. Met a couple today on the train to Pisa from Spain and sat next to a couple from Vancover, Canada when we were having lunch in Pisa. We decided to have a little picnic in our room tonight of fruit, cheese & rolls. We are too tired to go out, plus we needed to get organized for our 2 night trip tomorrow to Siestri Levante and Cinque Terre. We are just taking one small suitcase and leaving the others at this hotel since we will be back on Tues afternoon for 1 night before heading home on Wednesday.
The town of Pisa is not great, except the "Leaning Tower" & the Duomo. It is really a fantastic sight. We opted not to pay 20 euros to hike to the top and wait our turn. I tried to get some photos of Gene "holding" up the tower. I did ok, not the best, but they work!
The town of Lucca is surrounded by an ancient wall, which made it quite unique. If we had been up to it and had more time, we would have liked to ride bikes around it. Oh well, maybe another time...ha...ha! Gene and I are both amazed by the number of Europeans who smoke. It seems they didn't get the word that smoking is dangerous to your health!
I am really tired tonight...so I better sign off for now. Much love as always
Good morning, afternoon or evening. . .you choose. I like Dad and the leaning tower pic. We got our postcards today. Emily was especially excited about the one from Salzburg--"Sound of Music". Thank you. I think the in room picnic was a great idea! I would love to be a little bird on your shoulder when you are wandering around on your self guided walking tours. Love you.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness...it looks like so much fun!! I cannot wait to hear your voices again and hear about it in person. I love you tons and GREAT job on the updates...you have become a fabulous blogger
ReplyDelete